Brian's Blog

I’m not sure what you will find here; general musings and maybe some technical stuff spattered here and there.

Thursday, September 29, 2005


SmugMug vs. Flickr

I've never been a flickr fan simply because I've never liked the interface. However, I do understand the concept and think it's a great one.

After several power outages, my hard drive has been making some really bad noises. As I'm preparing for total melt down, I thought it would be nice to have somewhere to archive my photos. CD's go bad, and you can never fully trust your PC. The only solution for me was to find somewhere to stash them online.

One of those choices was flickr, and the other was SmugMug. I've whittled the list down to just these two services by reading many forums, and blogs. These two seem to be the leaders in photo sharing and storage.

While I've used both, my final decision was to go with SmugMug. I've decided to pay for the standard package which is ~$30 per year. With this you get unlimited uploads, and 4gb of download bandwidth. They seem to be very lenient with the 4gb ceiling by granting you the ability to ask for more when needed.

Along with being a good company with a great reputation, the offer an excellent product. SmugMug offers the user tons of image tweaking tools. Galleries are a snap to set up and are highly customizable. They also offer sub-galleries, a feature missing from flickr.

They already have a solid product, but allow you to customize it further with the wide range of apis available to web-geeks. Some have already developed handy tools to enhance SmugMug.

The only thing missing is the kind of community you can find over at flickr. "Interestingness" is defiantly something I will miss at SmugMug.

So with that said, hop on over and take a look at my boring vacation photos. I almost have them all online. Hopefully the last few will make it up before the "melt down".

P.S. If you want to sign up for SmugMug and save $5, use this code: dAoAc4XlBEnGQ

2 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,

Just a thought: I found your page while searching for Smugmug vs. Flickr. You might want to include a link to Smugmug with your referral ID in it on your page somewhere. When people sign up using your ID they save $5 and you get a $10 credit. I have a review of Smugmug and Flickr on my site and have so far gotten referrals to pay for 6 years at the professional level (20 years at the standard rate!)

BTW, I enjoyed looking at your photos...the biking ones in particular. Have you biked Moab yet? I've always wanted to do that.

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Brian said...

Now why didn't I think of that? Good tip!

Just in case any one else reads this and wants $5 off thier SmugMug registration, enter this code dAoAc4XlBEnGQ or just follow the link.

Those biking photos are from Moab. I had a great time out there. I totally recomend it.

Thanks Scott.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home