Brian's Blog

I’m not sure what you will find here; general musings and maybe some technical stuff spattered here and there.

Thursday, November 03, 2005


My DVD is in the Mail

I finally broke down and signed up for netflix today. I have a couple friends using it and they all seem to like it. Apparently it only takes 3 days for you to send back your old DVD and receive the new one. That's pretty fast considering what has to take place in between.

I just joined and have yet to receive any movies, and I'm already impressed with their service. My favorite feature so far is their recommendations page. The first time you access this page they ask you to rate some popular movies, ask you what your favorite genres are, and then determine which movies you will like. It's super accurate. They have recommended all of my favorite movies. What's more, this list is available via rss.

Each recommended movie is rated using a 5 star system based on how well they think you would like it. Its very helpful when looking up some more obscure titles.

They also allow you create logins for your family members, and determine what kind of movies they will be able to add to your queue.

I think this service will end up being one of those "how did I live without it" type things. I can't wait to get my first movie, which by the way, is already in the mail.

2 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger J. said...

I use peerflix instead. You trade movies that you own, but don't want anymore for other peoples movies that they don't want. Not bad and cheaper than netflix

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Brian said...

I saw peerflix when I was shopping around. How long does it take for you to get a popular new release?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home